Saturday 23 July 2011

Cooking: Cacao Sablé

Me and bakery is like parallel road.I have tried making bakery before, whether from scratch or from box, and it wasn't major success. I guess I'm kinda person who aren't bothered about measuring everything so bakery is such a hassle coz everything has to be in the right amount. So it's about savoury cooking for me, my oven is for roasting beef or baking pasta. Anyhow, I was quite inspired by Ai-san's matcha sablé (see her post here) as it looks so easy. So after having dinner, I searched around my kitchen cabinet and found all the ingredients and cacao powder so I decided to make Cacao Sablé instead of Matcha ones.

Ingredients:
150g flour
50g sugar
120g unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
a pinch of salt
7g cacao powder

Basically, you just mix everything until the dough stick together.

Then you roll it in a long roll, put it into the fridge or freezer til the dough really holds up. Then cut it into piece. The thickness depends on your liking. I'm not pro enough to do the pretty thin and round kind of sablé.

Put it into a preheated oven at 180 celcius for 15-20 minutes and voilà, your sablé!

I followed Ai-san's ingredient and just made slight change in the amount of butter coz after mixing, I found that my dough wouldn't mix together so I added more butter. And since I am amateur and the sable was in dark colour, I sorta burned half of the first tray as I didn't know how to tell if they are already cooked or not. I left it in the oven for just a minute or two too long. Anyhow, I was more careful with second tray and it came out pretty good. Ai-san's recipe isn't too sweet at all so if you don't like too sweet stuff, this will be good for you (I may have to add a little more sugar if I intend to make this and distribute to friends).

It's amazingly easy to make so I would recommend to all bakery newbie to try. I'm think what should I
bake next time!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a kitchen goddess either, but I've baked now and then. They usually don't look too yummy cos I'm always too impatient, but the taste is okay...gotta work on presentation!

    Your sable looks yummy. Can't wait to see what you bake next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! They look yummy. You know what, I baked yet another batch of matcha cookies and used even less butter and less sugar than the first time. Turned out great. But you are right; most people would need more sugar to their sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good. I love the slightly square shape - really nice. And they sound super-yummy.

    ReplyDelete